Hello friends and family. I want to give you all a little update in my life so you can all be reassured that I am, indeed, okay.
Last any of you knew I was still trying to figure things out and I was either in Missouri or L.A. Well, I am now in neither place. Due to unforeseen circumstances, I am Near Fresno rooming with my best friend and her boyfriend and their daughter. I know a lot of people have their concerns about this set up but it’s all going to work out. How do I know this? Faith!
I’m not going to write much because I just wanted to let you all know that I am in good hands. I have a job, I have a place to stay with my own room, and I have food in my belly. I’m not let out in the cold rain to starve, I know I’m loved. Just know that I am ok and I am making it through everything.
And as always, thank you for checking out my blog! Keep coming back here every week.
Forget about my 26 before 26 list! Here is my new and improved 30 before 30 list…
- Read at least 30 books
- Learn to let go of the past
- Love myself again
- Go white water rafting
- Grow out my hair
- Reach and maintain a healthy weight
- Take a cooking class
- Finish and publish my book
- Fall in love with life
- Go backpacking for a week
- Revamp my personal style
- Forgive people who hurt me
- Do something that absolutely terrifies me
- Learn a new skill
- Get and keep a job I enjoy
- Visit a state or country I’ve never been to
- Let love happen
- Get a cat or dog
- Find God again
- Keep up with my blog
- Go to a concert
- Learn some sign language
- Find beauty in the mundane
- Get in touch with old friends
- Learn to enhance my beauty
- Meet with a chiroproctor
- Brighten someone’s day
- Learn yoga
- Follow Marie Kondo’s rules for tidying up
- Be positive, always.
If you made it all the way through my list, you probably have questions. Let me give you a little background on how and why I came up with these items, one by one.
- I’m sure many of you know by now that I love reading. I always have a goal to read a certain number of books in a certain amount of time. I never reach that goal. For example, for my 26 before 26 list, I had a goal of reading 26 books. Insane, right? 26 books in one year is a far reach for me and I know that. It was crazy to make that goal. You may think that 30 books before I’ 30 is a big goal as well, but I’m giving myself 5 years! I’m counting the books I already read this year, because why not. Just so you all know, I finished 7 books this year so far.
- Learning to let go of the past is something that we all need to do in life. Some of us realise early on that our past holds us back. For me, it took a long while. But I figured it out! Better late than never, right?
- Self love is vital. We can’t get far in life if we don’t love ourselves. I’ve been feeling down about myself, the way I look, everything. It’s unhealthy and I want it to end.
- White water rafting is something I’ve wanted to do since I was a teenager but never had the chance to do. I will be doing it in the next 4 years, though. No excuses.
- Growing out my hair kinda goes with self love. It makes me feel better about myself when I have long, healthy hair.
- My weight is my main source of low self-esteem. I don’t feel good when I look at myself in the mirror. I’m overweight and I know that. But I am ready to make a change.
- I want to take a cooking class because, well, why not? It’s something fun to do in the community.
- Finishing my book is something I’ve talked about for YEARS. And I do mean years. Maybe 5 years? Probably more. It’s high time I stopped saying it and just do it.
- I want to love my life. People say that there is nothing about life to love but oh are they wrong. I want to love the life I live. I don’t have to love what’s going on in the world but I do want to love what I do, say, feel, experience. I want to feel optimistic in all things.
- If you check out the Wilderness Girl tab, you know that I was supposed to go backpacking this past summer with my best friends in the whole world, Michaela. But I landed my job at Universal so that didn’t happen. Instead, We pushed it back. Well, it will happen and I can’t wait for it. Maybe this summer? Who knows!
- I have a personal style board on Pinterest of things I would love to wear but I hate shopping for clothes because I feel so ugly in so many things. I hate most of my wardrobe but I don’t want to but new things because I want to lose weight first. It’s a never ending cycle…or it was. I’m breaking that cycle this year!
- I have held on to pain for too long, I need to let it all go.
- We’re supposed to do something every day that scares us, right? Well, what about the things that absolutely terrify us? I’m doing that sometime in the next couple years.
- I want to learn a new skill, I’m not sure what that skill is yet but I want to learn it!
- I loved my job at Universal so much, unfortunately it just wasn’t in the cards to keep it. I am on the hunt for a job I enjoy just as much, if not more.
- Like most people, I love to travel. I want to visit a state, or country (Canada?) that I’ve never been to because why not?
- Let love happen. Don’t force it.
- I want a cat or dog so bad. I love them, I miss my cat Socks so much.
- Finding God again is one that may have thrown people off. This one I can’t really explain without going to personal and I just can’t do that today. In another blog post maybe. But not today.
- Keep up with my blog. I’ve said it time and time again. I’ve failed, time and time again. I am determined. I started off strong this year, though so I’m improving!
- I’ve gone to one concert, Raven Symone at the Fresno Fair. I want to go to a big concert, like Imagine Dragons or Taylor Swift.
- Sign language is a very powerful language. I want to learn so that I can comunicate with people who are hard of hearing.
- I think there is hidden beauty in everything and I intend to find it.
- Have you ever told someone that you’d keep in touch and then never do? Well, I have and I want to keep that. I am determined to keep in touch with them.
- Enhancing beauty isn’t all centered around makeup. It’s also about how you dress, how you carry yourself, everything.
- I have issues that I would like addressed by a chiropractor. It’s pretty self explanatory, I think.
- Who doesn’t want to brighten someone else’s day?
- I have friends who do yoga and I want to learn.
- I started the Marie Kondo rules but never finished because so much stuff was in storage. Then I just gave up.
- Always being positive is probably the hardest. I am trying, though. That’s why matters. I want to be an optimist not a pessimist.
If you have a 30 before 30 list, share with us below what you have. As always, thank you for visiting my blog. Until next time!
Dear 16-year-old Carra,
Your life will change in the next year and I know it will be hard. Just remember that there are people who love you and are here for you. You will be able to grow and learn so much because you will be getting out of your comfort zone. You’ll lose people you love, you’ll move twice in one year, and you’ll grow closer to Heavenly Father.
When given the opportunity to go see Mountain Grove High School, you’ll do it, you’ll meet the counselor and come out of the meeting ready to move. Actually ask questions this time, don’t be afraid. It’ll be exciting but sad. Leaving your friends will be hard, it is worth it.
See your mom before you move. It’ll eat at you if you don’t. She wanted to say goodbye but you left before she could. Also, spend more time packing and less time playing. You’ll have a week to pack all of your stuff. Make sure you put Whoonu in a safe spot so you don’t lose it because if you don’t you’ll find out it’s $60 when you’re looking into buying it again.
There will be many boys interested in you, say no to all of them. I mean it, all of them. Don’t even text Casey after Christmas, you’ll thank me later. Boys are no good and you deserve better than all of them. Having Dakota as a friend is enough, he’s a nice guy. But seriously, do not date any of them.
Don’t give your friend Megan money because you’ll never get it back. Also, don’t spend your first week not eating and hiding in the bathroom at lunchtime. Make friends.You will become really good friends with the girl who you have almost every class with, her name is Shelby. She’ll introduce you to people and you’ll become “popular” because everyone in your grade knows you.
When your English class gets into a discussion about Mormons, don’t be afraid to turn it into a teaching moment. Straightening out the lies will help them in the long run. Tell Derek that chocolate doesn’t destroy your soul, tell Rachel that we are Christian, stun everyone because they had no idea there was a Mormon in the class. You can do it, don’t be shy.
Another thing to consider is your career project in Personal Finance. You’re thinking about doing it on OB GYN. Don’t. That’s not really what you want to be, you want to be a teacher or a writer. Don’t pick OB GYN just because it makes more money and it goes with what your classmates are doing. Be yourself Carra, it’s ok.
Finally, don’t yell at your grandparents. You’re going to miss them one day and all of those times you screamed and fought will flood your mind for a time. Try to see it from their point of view. Also, learn all you can from grandma, make it a point to cook with her. Ask her about her life. If you don’t, you’ll regret it later in life.
You are a very smart, beautiful, and caring young woman. Don’t let anyone change that or tell you different. Stay close to your family, spend time with them. Garden with grandma, play pool with grandpa. You’ll miss out on all of that if you don’t. They love you and I love you. Stay strong.
My first holiday post on my blog in 2013 was for Valentine’s Day and I haven’t done one for the same holiday since then. I know, terrible. It may not change every year but it does happen every year. So, I decided to be a bit of research as to why we celebrate this holiday and what I found was interesting.
In order to learn more I turned to Google. I found an article titled Valentine’s Day History as well as a video called Bet You Didn’t know: Valentine’s Day. One thing I noticed in both the article and the video was that it isn’t completely clear as to which St. Valentine we are celebrating. There were three and they all appear to have been put to death on February 14. First you have the Priest who was put to death for performing illegal marriages, in that time young men were not allowed to get married but we supposed to be soldiers instead. Another was a bishop in Terni, and the third St. Valentine, there is almost nothing known about him or his life,except that he met his end in Africa.
Growing up I was told that Valentine’s day originated by a man who was an abusive murderer of women and I always thought it was ironic. In my research, that was proven wrong with every link I sought out. According to the above article and video, it started out as a celebration of fertility. The celebration changed several times and by the 15th century greeting cards were exchanged. Now, about 1 billion cards are given out each Valentine’s Day all around the world. Considering the fact that there are about 7 billion people in the world and you take away those who live in poor countries then 1 billion people exchanging cards is a ton of paper.
Now that we know a little bit about the history of valentine’s day, why do YOU celebrate? How do you celebrate? What is your worst or best Valentine’s Day memory? Please share bellow. And, as always, thank you for stopping by to read my posts.
Each person feels love in different ways. There is a test you can take the Five Love Languages test here. There are, as it says in the title, 5 love languages; words of affirmation,quality time,receiving gifts, acts of service, and physical touch. When I first heard about the love languages, I was on my mission. My companion, Sister G., and I were on an exchange and I was with Sister B. She and I were discussing issues I was experiencing at that time and she explained the concept with me. Deciding that physical touch seemed to be my top love language, we continued with that. Sister G hated physical touch, she never wanted any hugs or anything…ever. It was hard for me because I am a hugger, I hug everyone. I didn’t know what to do with that information so I forgot about it. A few months ago, I was thinking about ways I could show love to my husband and the conversation I had with Sister B. came to mind. I proceeded to look up the official quiz and I took it for myself. I was a little surprised to learn that physical touch was not my number one. At 24, when I had taken the official test, These were my results: Words of Affirmation (5), Quality Time (11), Receiving Gifts (4), Acts of Service (4), and Physical Touch (6). The issue with the way we feel love is that its not always the same way those in our lives feel love. Sister G. didn’t feel love with physical touch nor did she feel love with quality time. Looking back, I’d say her number one love language was acts of service. I knew I didn’t want to focus on giving love in the way I feel love so I had my husband take the test after he got home from work. His results were very different from mine; Words of Affirmation (8), Quality Time (6), Receiving Gifts (2), Acts of Service (10), and Physical Touch (4). If we compare my top 2 we get: Quality Time (11) vs. (6) and Physical touch (6) vs. (4). If we compare his top 2 we get: Acts of Service (10) vs. (4) and Words of Affirmation (8) vs. (5). Do you see the difference in our love languages? I do! So, now that I have this information, how to I show him love and how should he show me love? The following image shows what each love language is, how to express it, and what to do after a conflict.
I want to extend the invitation to you, reader, to go to the page above and take the test. After you do so, share the test with those you love. Share your number one love language and ask them theirs, you want to know how to show them love and I’m sure you want them to show you love in the way you feel love.
If you have taken the test before, please share your results in the comments below. Thank you for reading!
More and more people are reading self help books and there are millions to choose from. As most of my readers know I am into Bullet Journaling, see my post here. When I was brand new to the journey back in July 2016, I joined many Bullet Journal groups on Facebook to help me get inspiration for this new journey I was embarking on. Through these groups, I kept seeing pages they called Level 10 Life. I thought it was interesting and I finally decided last week that I wanted to know what it was and why everyone was doing it. I found out where it came from. A self help book, I wasn’t too thrilled. I didn’t want to read it, there’s nothing any book could tell me that I didn’t already here from other people in my life. I brushed it off. Well, curiosity got the best of me and I finally caved and checked the book out from my local library and I am so glad I did. You’re probably thinking “is she ever going to share what the book is called?” I know, I know, I just went on a little tangent and never told you what the book is called. Well, it’s called The Miracle Morning: The Not-So-Obvious Secret Guaranteed to Transform Your Life Before 8AM by Hal Elrod. I started reading it a few days ago and I love it. I thought it was going to be like everything I’ve always heard but it’s not. The Miracle Morning is really life changing but I don’t want you to take it from me. There are thousands of videos from people who have improved their life by incorporating Hal’s morning routine into their day. You can find many of them here.
If you have read the book, please comment with how it have changed your life. I have only done it for a couple of days and exercise alone has made me feel like a better person. I, personally, get up at 4:30am, which is when my husband gets up to get ready for work, and I begin my day. I pray, exercise, and read. I’m trying to get each of Hal’s Life S.A.V.E.R.S. to work and I’m adding a little at a time, as to not overwhelm myself. From there I do homework and house cleaning. Since I have started this routine, I have been getting to sleep earlier, which was an issue for me. I am so glad I started this and I am grateful for all the people in all of the Bullet Journal groups who shared their experiences because if they hadn’t, I may not have ever had the pleasure of reading The Miracle Morning.